Monday, October 29, 2007

Mind, blown

Part A: Confession is good for the soul

I recently let loose the "great and terrible secret" I had kept hidden for the past fourteen months. I told two of the people I had hidden it from most vigorously, M and B. I find that since that moment several days ago I am more myself than I have been since I was eleven years old. It's strange how freeing it is to open that door and let out the thing about yourself of which you are most ashamed. I feel delightedly unconstrained, strangely less guiltful that I have felt since I was a child. I don't know how long this feeling will last, but it's a giddy one.

Part B: Girard

Dear Friends,

Rene Girard just blew my mind. I am now rethinking everything I have ever learned about human society, Christianity, stories and God. In light of Girard's theories, the world makes about ten times more sense than it did previously. (That's not to say that it makes a whole lot of sense even now).

Therefore, I urge you all to track down something by Girard, or at least read the wikipedia article about him.

OK, that's it for now.

Over and out.

1 comment:

mw said...

I know the feeling of the blown mind :-)

fyi, another "summary" of Girardian ideas (with sources listed) is on my website at Beyond Rivalry.

Girardian Reflections on the Lectionary is also a good place to explore Girard's ideas.