Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Law of Diminishing (Internet) Returns

If you note the trend of my blogging, from its beginning in late 2007 to its recent renaissance at the end of 2009, you will see a progressive decline in frequency. I blame this on all my non-readers out there. If all of you would just read my writing and comment on it, I would be writing progressively more.

That said, I think all Web 2.0 media work this way. You start out with a burst of prolific content creation. Then, when your content is inevitably (at best) tepidly received, you slowly lose interest in investing in its creation. Eventually you give up altogether or, as I have done, go on hiatus for months at a time until something inspires you to give it a try again. Don't ask me what's inspiring me to give blogging another go. Escapism? Fear of separating from my friend group of the past six years? The result of several thesis-intense months? Who knows?

No comments: