Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Awkward...

So there I was, checking out at Sanki, the discount clothing and housewares store near my house. I'd picked out several inexpensive items for the soccer tournament I'm playing in this weekend, and I was feeling pretty satisfied with myself. The cashier is ringing up and bagging my items when suddenly she pauses, a small line appearing between her brows. She looks at the item she's holding then glances up at me, her eyes squinting up in a considering look. Then she looks back at the item and says,

"Are you sure this size is OK?"

I look at what she's holding in her hand. It's the sports bra I'm buying, which was on sale (yes!), but which I was pretty sure was NOT OK size-wise. However, there was no way I was going to tell this lady, "Actually, no, but that's the largest size you carry, so let's just go with it."

I give her an awkward little nod, and she smiles and nods in a way that politely communicates (in a way only Japanese people can), "Well, it's your funeral," and then she rings up the bra for me.

When I got home, the first thing I did was try on the bra. Yep. Too small. Alas.

No comments: