Sunday, November 4, 2007

My Life's Purpose vs. The Crap They Force Me to Write

Recently, I've been writing every chance I get. It's not just that I have a story. There's something else to it. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but I've just felt particularly inspired as of late.

It's made me realize just how much I love to write. Few things can consistently exhilarate me the way that writing can. Oh, and just in case you were wondering, I do not mean academic writing. I was thinking about this the other day, about how writing for school and writing creatively are different for me. I realized that I'd rather be doing creative writing more than almost anything else in the world, including things that I really enjoy, like reading or hanging out with my best friends.

On the other hand, while I would rather be writing academically than, say, hammering nails through my thumbs, there are plenty of things that rank above it on my fun list. This may seem weird to you non-writers (maybe even to you non-creative writers), but the two types of writing are worlds apart in my book.

Therefore, I say, "Judge not a book by its cover (rather, judge the graphic designer by the book's cover), and (more emphatically) judge not a creative writer by the BS she churns out for school papers.

1 comment:

the itsy bitsy me said...

I won't say that creative writing is the purpose of my life; however, I started enjoying it, especially when my future is doomed by papers.
Yet, I agree with you - it's better to be writing than working somewhere else (like Wal-Mart or McDonalds:)