Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Say it with Fiction...

This post is going to be like a part 2 for my last post.

I was thinking, then, about why I feel so strongly about writing, other than the fact that I feel it is my life's purpose. I realized that writing is really how I express my opinions. No matter what I may say, I don't feel like it's what I really believe until I write it. This is why I get really angry with teachers who don't return papers (I'm looking at you, Dr. Deb) or worse, teachers who return papers with little to no comments on the content. It's like they're denying my one chance to get a response to what I really think about whatever I've written about.

This is also why I hate class discussion so much and why I'm so bad at it. The truth is, I think slow, I read slow, and I write slow (Yeah, the bad grammar is intentional). When I'm talking to someone, they don't want to wait the extra several seconds or minutes it may take me to come up with what I really want to say. Besides, when I talk, I get all tongue-tied and flustered and confused anyway. It's so much easier to come up with what I really think if I have time to mull it over and re-word it and try it from several different angles before I have to share it.

From there, I started thinking about why I like fiction so much more than non-fiction, if this whole writing thing is truly about giving my opinions. I think I've decided that I just say it better with fiction. Or rather, it's easier for me to really make the points I want to make by telling stories about them. Then again, maybe I just have a lot of imagination that needs an outlet somewhere.

1 comment:

Heather Brown said...

It's not just you my love, most of us Englishy type people are better at writing than talking, we all feel inferior, we all get frusterated at the insistance that we be eloquent on demand. Preach on, sister, preach on!