Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Purpose vs. Crap Revisited! Plus, Sex Scenes?

I am conflicted. As it is nearing the end of the semester, the homework I ought to be working on is beginning to pile up. There are two significant papers, two newsletters and a whole lotta reading that have been simmering on the back burner for several weeks now. You may be wondering why. I'll tell you why. I don't know. (Name that movie!) OK, I actually do know. The reason is two-pronged:

1. I always procrastinate. I am in the habit of doing all my work the night before.

2. I have something else I'd rather be doing. This is where the conflictedness comes in. I really ought to be doing schoolwork, but somehow it's just not as appealing as writing stories. On the one hand, I've committed myself to fulfilling the requirements of three classes, and I am not in the habit of letting that commitment slide. On the other hand, I haven't been so inspired to write in years. I mean, this is what I live for! Don't I have an equal commitment to fulfill the purpose for which I was created?

Tough questions. I ain't got no answers. How 'bout you?

So, on to the sex scenes. As I believe I have mentioned many, many times in this blog, I am currently in the midst of writing a novel. One of the most-difficult-to-resolve questions I have about this work is: Can I write sex scenes in it? I mean, there's the fact that I have very little personal experience on which to base them. Then there's the question of whether or not they fit into the context of the story (which I generally feel that they do). Then there's the "Oh my God, what will everyone think when they read this?" aspect. Plus, I'm not entirely decided on my audience. Hrm.

All right, someone give me an opinion!

3 comments:

Heather Brown said...

Ok, I MIGHT be a slight bit biased, but here is my, for once, solicited opinion. I think that your squeamishness comes, in large part, from a nagging belief that sex really only belongs in marriage, and that this really does exclude discussion in polite society, which is incomplete without books. My friend, let me be the one to set you free. Your conflict as a Christian writer must ultimately reside in what you believe is right. Your tension about your audience must truly be about if they will understand and connect with your work, and less about whether it will offend them. Sex is out there man, and those who believe that the "true, good" sex that is happening is in the missionary position in Church of Christ sanctioned marriages will not be able to connect with your brilliance anyway. Write from your heart. The Lord and a good editor will take care of the rest!

Smartiniz said...

Thanks. Your encouragement is...well, you know.

Matthew said...

Allude. It's sexier anyway.