Sunday, November 11, 2007

Playing My Nerd Card

This morning, being Sunday morning, I was waiting for my roommate to come out of her room so I could ask her for a ride to church. As I sat and waited, I noticed sitting on the end table to my left my roommate K's textbooks for her Intro. to Ethnic and Women's Studies class.

Let me pause for a moment here to point out that, though I am currently an English graduate student, in my former, undergraduate life I was an International Studies and Spanish major. Back to Sunday morning:

The books intrigued me. I suddenly felt a strong urge to pick them up and read them. So I did. I picked up the top one, which was A Different Mirror by Ronald Takaki. I opened to the beginning. I started reading. I was immediately hooked by this textbook on diversity in the United States.

I realized as I was reading that I should go to my roommate's room and ask her for a ride before her boyfriend came to pick her up. But I couldn't put the book down. I was so engrossed by a textbook that I didn't want to stop reading it or even get up from my seat for a few seconds to go ask my roommate a quick question.

Oh, nerd-dom! Shall I ever escape thee?

No comments: